- Choose the correct alternative to complete the following sentences:
a)Creeping in an oakwood, the poet was looking for a –
i)goat [ ]
ii)rhinoceros [ ]
iii)stag [ ✓ ]
iv)buffalo [ ]
b)Whenever an oak tree is felled, the number of trees the poet must plant is –
i)two [ ✓ ]
ii)three [ ]
iii)four [ ]
iv)five [ ]
c)When the poet came out of the oakwood, his heart was that of a –
i)stag [ ]
ii)tree [ ✓ ]
iii)human child [ ]
iv)old woman [ ]
2. State whether the following statements are True or False. Provide sentences/phrases/words in support of your answer:
a)The old woman held the poet’s secrets in her little bag.[ True ]
Supporting Statement: “I have your secret here inside my little bag.”
b)The tree tribe said that the poet is bothered to see the chopping down of oak trees.[False]
Supporting Statement: We are chopped down, we are torn up, you do not blink an eye.
c)The poet never came out of the oakwood. [ False ]
Supporting Statement: When I came out of the oakwood, back to human company.
3. Answer the following questions:
a)When did the poet come twice awake?
Ans. When ‘an old woman opened up her little bag, the poet came twice awake to see himself tied to a stake and surrounded by a staring tribe.
b)What would happen to the poet if he failed to make the promise?
Ans. If the poet fails to make the promise, the black bark will wrinkle over him and root him among the oaks.
c)What was it that altered the poet?
Ans. The dream beneath the boughs altered the poet.
Grammar in Use
4. Change the following into indirect speech:
a)Rahul asked Dipa, “Will you go to school today?”
Ans. Rahul asked Dipa if she would go the school that day.
b)Rita said to Ayesha, “Please give me a glass of water.”
Ans. Rita requested Ayesha to give her a glass of milk.
c)The old man told the girl, “May you be happy!”
Ans. The old man wished that the girl might be happy.
5. Do as directed:
a)Rajan said, “Who does not know the name of Rabindranath?” (Change into an affirmative sentence)
Ans. Rajan said who does not know the name of Rabindranath.
b)Sangeeta runs faster than any other girl in her class. (Rewrite using the positive degree of ‘faster’)
Ans. No other girl in her class runs as fast as Sangeeta.
c)Kaushiki blamed her friend for the trouble. (Rewrite using the noun form of blamed’)
Ans. Kaushiki put the blame on her friend for the trouble.
6. Read the following composition carefully:
7. Your school is going to host the inter-school District Sports Competition. Suppose you are the Secretary of the Sports Club of your school. Write a notice (Within 100 words) calling students to participate in the competition. Mention the time, Date and venue of the competition. Your notice should be countersigned by the Headmaster/Headmistress of your school.
3.The Passing Away of Bapu
4.Our Runway Kite