- Choose the correct alternative to complete the following sentences:
a)With a shudder Swami Realized that it was –
i)Friday [ ]
ii)Thursday [ ]
iii)Wednesday [ ]
iv)Monday [ ✓ ]
b)When Swami ought to have been in the school Prayer hall, he was lying on the –
i)bench [ ✓ ]
ii)table [ ]
iii)bed [ ]
iv)desk [ ]
c)According to Swami, Samuel is especially angry with boys who are
i)absent [ ]
ii)late [ ✓ ]
iii)inattentive [ ]
iv)undisciplined [ ]
2. Fill in the chart with information from the text:
|a)time when Swami complained of a headache||At nine o’clock.|
|b)person who ordered Swami to dress up and go to school||Swami’s father|
|c)name of the teacher mentioned by Swami||Samuel|
3. State whether the following statements are True or False. Provide sentences/phrases/words in support of your answer:
a)Swami said that he had a headache. [True]
Supporting Statement: At nine o’clock, Swaminathan wailed, “I have a headache.”
b)Swami was lying in his father’s room. [False]
Supporting Statement: Swami was lying on the bench in Mother’s room.
c)According to Swami, the headmaster was not afraid of Samuel. [True]
Supporting Statement: …….even the headmaster is afraid of him.
4. Choose the correct alternative to complete the following sentences:
a)Father decided to send the headmaster a –
i)telegram [ ]
ii)notice [ ]
iii)letter [ ✓ ]
iv)report [ ]
b)While going to school Swami was bothered by –
i)conscience [ ✓ ]
ii)headache [ ]
iii)toothache [ ]
iv)fever [ ]
c)The colour of Samuel’s coat was –
i)black [ ]
ii)blue [ ]
iii)white [ ]
iv)yellow [ ✓ ]
5. Complete the following sentences with information from the text:
a)Father’s behaviour took an unexpected turn.
b)Swami went to school feeling that he was the worst boy on earth.
c)Swami stopped on the roadside to make up his mind about Samuel.
6)Answer the following questions:
a)Where did Father put the letter?
Ans. Father put the letter in an envelope.
b)What did Swami fail to decide about Samuel?
Ans. Swami failed to decide if Samuel really deserved the allegations made against him in the letter.
c)How did Samuel look?
Ans. Samuel had a dark face, thin moustache, unshaven cheek and he used to wear a yellow coat.
7. Choose the correct alternative to complete the following sentences:
a)When Swami entered the class, Samuel was teaching –
i)history [ ]
ii)arithmetic [ ✓ ]
iii)science [ ]
iv)geography [ ]
b)Swami was late to school by –
i)Half an hour [ ✓ ]
ii)an hour [ ]
iii)two hours [ ]
iv)three hours [ ]
c)The headmaster was on a leave for one –
i)day [ ]
ii)month [ ]
iii)year [ ]
iv)week [ ✓ ]
8. Complete the following sentences with information from the text:
a)As Swami entered the school gate, an idea occurred to him to deliver the letter to the headmaster at the end of the day.
b)Swami stood at the entrance to his class.
c)Father snatched the letter away from Swami and tore it up.
9. Fill in the chart with information from the text:
|a)Swami had a headache||a)Swami did not do his homework.|
|b)Swami never met anyone as good as Samuel.||b)Swami sat down on the bench and felt sad for Samuel.|
|c)The headmaster had gone on a week’s leave.||c)Swami did not deliver the letter.|
Grammar in Use
10. Choose the correct alternative to complete the following sentences:
a)Rina (take/takes/took) the bus to school every day.
Ans. Rina takes the bus to school every day.
b)Last Monday, While we (was watching/have been watching/were watching) the television, the electricity went off.
Ans. Last Monday, While we were watching the television, the electricity went off.
c)By this time tomorrow they(will have left/will have leave/will had left).
Ans. By this time tomorrow, they will have left.
11. Fill in the blanks with appropriate articles and prepositions:
Arifa, the young of the two girls, has cracked IIT, while the older one is an engineer in a multinational company.
12. Write a letter to the editor of a newspaper (within 100 words) about the problems faced by commuters due to the reckless driving of public vehicles.
2.The Passing Away of Bapu
3.My Own True Family
4.Our Runway Kite