1)What was Mr. Sivasanker brooding over, standing in the front veranda of his house? [Annual Exam. = 2018]
Ans. Mr. Sivasanker was brooding over the servant problem, standing in the front veranda of his house.
2) What is Mr. Sivasanker’s first impression of Sidda? [Annual Exam. = 2016]
Ans. Mr. Sivasanker’s first impression is that Sdda does not seem to be a bad sort and he looks tidy.
3) Who according to Sidda was his previous master? [Annual Exam. = 2020]
Ans. According to Sidda, his previous master was a doctor.
4)Where did the doctor live?
Ans. The doctor lived in a bungalow near the market.
5) Why did Sidda leave the old master’s house? [Annual Exam. = 2015]
Ans. Sidda left the old master’s house because they left the town.
6) Why did Mr. Sivasanker call his wife?
Ans. Mr. Sivasanker called his wife because he was unable to make up his mind whether Sidda would work as a servant in his home.
7)What was Mrs Sivasanker’s opinion regarding Sidda?
Ans. Mrs. Sivasanker said that Sidda seemed better than other servants who worked earlier in their house.
8) “I like him. Don’t send him away.” – Who said this?
Ans. Leela, five years old daughter of Mr And Mrs Sivasanker said this.
9) “And that decided it.” – What was decided?
Ans. Sidda would work as a servant in their house. It was decided.
10) What kind of job did Sidda do in the Sivasanker’s household? [Annual Exam. = 2014]
Or. What did Sidda do at Mr. Sivasanker’s house? [Annual Exam. = 2017]
Ans. Sidda washed clothes, tended the garden, ran errands, chopped wood and looked after Leela.
11) What was Sidda given in return for his service in the house of Mr Sivasanker?
Ans. Sidda was given two meals a day and four rupees a month in return for his service in the house of Mr Sivasanker.
12) Who asked Sidda to throw the ball into the sky? [Annual Exam. = 2015, 2018]
Ans. Leela asked Sidda to throw the ball into the sky.
13) What did Sidda say to Leela when the ball came down?
Or. What did Sidda say when the ball thrown by him into the sky, came down? [Annual Exam. – 2022]
Ans. Sidda told Leela that the ball had touched the moon.
14) Why didn’t Leela see the traces of the moon on the ball?
Ans. Leela must be very quick to see the traces of the moon on the ball because it will all evaporate and go back to the moon.
15)How did Leela able to see the traces of the moon?
Ans. When Sidda allowed Leela to peep through a little gap in his finger, Leela abled to see the traces of the moon on the ball.
16)How, according to Sidda, could Leela touch the sky? [Annual Exam. = 2016]
Ans. According to Sidda, if Leela stood on a coconut tree, she could touch the sky.
17)When did Sidda touch the moon?
Ans. Sidda touched the moon whenever there was a big moon.
18) Why did Leela clap her hands and scream in wonder?
Ans. Leela clapped her hands and screamed in wonder because the moon was following them to the rose plants, the backyard and wherever they were going.
19) When did Leela hold a class for Sidda?
Ans. Leela held a class for Sidda at dusk.
20)What was Leela’s box filled with? [Annual Exam. = 2017, 2020]
Ans. Leela’s box was filled with catalogues, illustrated books and stumps of pencils.
21) What did Leela ask Sidda to draw? [Annual Exam. = 2018]
Ans. Leela asked Sidda to draw a kind of cat and crow.
22) What did Leela ask Sidda to copy?
Ans. Leela asked Sidda to copy two or three letters of the alphabet and draw a kind of cat and crow.
23) How many letters of the alphabet did Leela know to write? [Annual Exam. – 2022]
Ans. Leela knew two or three letters of the alphabet to write.
24) Why did Leela pity Sidda?
Ans. Leela pitied Sidda because Sidda was incapable to draw the crow and the letter ‘B’.
25) How did Sidda seek relief from Leela’s class?
Or. How would the school hour end?
Ans. Sidda sought relief from Leela’s class by saying that her mother was calling her into dinner.
26) When did Leela run to her bed? [Annual Exam. – 2022]
Ans. Leela ran to her bed after dinner.
27) What stories did Sidda tell to Leela after dinner?
Ans. Sidda told incomparable stories of animals in the jungle, gods in heaven, magicians and princesses.
28) Who noticed that the gold chain of Leela was missing?
Ans. Leela’s mother noticed that the gold chain of Leela was missing.
29) “Her mother gave her a slap.” – Whose mother gave her a slap?
Ans. Leela’s mother gave her a slap.
30) “I told you to take it off and put it in the box.” – What was ‘it’ referred to here? [Annual Exam. = 2019]
Ans. ‘It’ was referred to as Leela’s gold chain.
31) “His throat went dry.” – Whose throat went dry and why?
Ans. Sidda’s throat went dry because Leela’s mother asked him about the lost chain of Leela.
32) When did Sidda flee from the house?
Ans. When Leela’s mother went into the kitchen to see something left on the oven after noticing Leela’s missing gold chain, Sidda fled from the house.
33) Why had Sidda vanished into the night?
Ans. Sidda had vanished into the night because he was afraid of being arrested on account of Leela’s gold chain.
34) Who went to the police station and lodged a complaint?
Ans. Mr Sivasanker went to the police station and lodged a complaint.
35) Why did Leela refuse to go to bed?
Ans. Leela refused to go to bed because she wanted Sidda to come with her to the bed and tell stories.
36) Why, according to Leela, was her mother rough?
Or. What was Leela’s complaint against her mother?
Ans. According to Leela, her mother was rough because she used to abuse and worry Sidda.
37) What made Leela’s mother panicky?
Ans. The thought of harbouring such a villain like Sidda in their house made Leela’s mother panicky. She also thought that with his knowledge of the household, he might come at night and loot.
38) What did Leela think about Sidda’s escape?
Ans. Leela thought that Sidda was angry with them because he was not allowed to sleep inside the house.
39) What did Mr Sivasanker come to know from the inspector?
Or. How many times was Sidda in jail?
Ans. Mr Sivasanker came to know from the inspector that Sidda had been in jail half a dozen times for stealing jewellery from children.
40) Why was the inspector furious with Mr Sivasanker?
Ans. The inspector was furious with Sivasanker because he did not consult him before employing Sidda in their house.
41) After how many days of stealing was Sidda arrested?
Ans. Sidda was arrested after four days of stealing.
42)Why was Leela overjoyed?
Ans. Leela was overjoyed to see Sidda brought back home.
43) Who brought Sidda into the house of Mr Sivasanker?
Ans. A police inspector and a constable brought Sidda into the house of Mr Sivasanker.
44) Who addressed Sidda a few words of treachery?
Ans. Mrs Sivasanker addressed Sidda with a few words of treachery.
45) What was Sidda’s answer when he was asked about the chain?
Ans. Sidda’s answer was that he had not taken the gold chain.
46) “Leave him alone, he hasn’t taken the chain.” – a) Who said this? b) Why did Leela think that she had not taken the chain?
Ans. a) Leela said this.
b) Leela thought that Sidda had not taken the chain because the behaviour, affection and love, she got from him made her think that he was innocent.
47) “Take him to the station. I think I shall have to sit with him tonight.” – Why did the inspector wish to sit with Sidda?
Ans. The inspector wished to sit with Sidda for further interrogation about the missing gold chain of Leela.
48) Who was not a reliable prosecution witness?
Ans. Leela was not a reliable prosecution witness.
49) “He looked at her mutely, like an animal.” – Who looked at and to whom?
Ans. Sidda looked at Leela.
50) Why was Leela in tears?
And. Sidda was in tears because Sidda was being taken to the police station again.
51) “Nothing can make them confess.” – Who are referred to as ‘them’? [Annual Exam. – 2022]
Ans. The fellows like Sidda who have been in jail once or twice are referred to here as ‘them’.
52) Where did Leela’s mother find the chain? [Annual Exam. = 2014]
Ans. Leela’s mother found the chain inside the tamarind pot in the kitchen.
53) Who put the chain in the tamarind pot?
Ans. Leela put the chain in the tamarind pot.
54) What was Mr Sivasanker’s reaction when the chain was recovered?
Ans. Mr Sivasanker reproached her daughter for all this bother and ordered his wife not to give any chain to Leela thereafter.